Thursday 22 September 2011

Homemade Play Dough

Today I made play dough (for the first time) and we had our first play on the Freecycle play dough table. I did a quick search online for a play dough recipe found this site: Nature Moms and used the recipe below. I coloured our play dough with red food colouring. I halved the batch I made, and put the same amount again as pictured in cling wrap in the fridge.

O had lots of fun, pretending he was cooking with the play dough. This photo was taken at the very start, soon after this things got very messy as the play dough was being mixed with sand and that's when O really had a ball! He had two ingredients to use: sand + play dough!

Below is the mixture after I had just finished cooking it. I thought it was not going to turn out, as it was very lumpy and became very difficult to stir. However, once cooled enough to touch, I was able to knead it and you can see a ball sitting on the top in the pot - it's a great consistency and turned out all good!

COOKED FLOUR PLAY DOUGH

3 cups flour
1.5 cups salt
6 tsp cream of tarter
3 tbsp oil
3 cups water

Pour all ingredients into a large pot and stir constantly over medium heat until a ball forms. Knead the play dough until the texture matches conventional play dough (1-2 minutes). Add food coloring if you want colored play dough. Store in plastic container. Should last for at least 3 months. NOTE: This recipe is made from edible ingredients it is not intended as a food item.

No comments:

Post a Comment