Sunday 22 July 2012

18th Biennale of Sydney


Wow, I've just looked at the date of my last post and its been a month to the day - 22nd June - since I last blogged. We've all been so sick with a catalogue of illness this past month - I know lots of folks who have been caught in the feedback loop of colds - it seems to have been a more virulent winter this year.

Today we had our first taste of the 18th Biennale of Sydney. It's on at several locations (Cockatoo Island is always a fave, with a ferry trip to get there, the kids love the adventure), we ticked off the Museum of Contemporary Art (MCA). It's on Level 1 and 3. There are some works I really enjoyed and O had his faves too - like this one pictured. Although a darkened and brooding room - he loved the horse man and strange characters created... There are a few biennale family days too - though a friend went to one at Cockatoo Island and said it was extra super busy. I think we are going to skip the family days this year - probably better if your kids are bit older when they can endure queuing a bit more patiently! Oh, and the biennale is free.

It was also my first visit to the MCA since it's refurbishment. So we checked out the building as much as the biennale. I worked at the MCA for a short while (after art school) as a gallery attendent, and seeing the gallery refurb several months after it opened made me realise how local my life has really become. Well, this year anyway with new bub and toddler.

Ooh, and my little tip for mum's taking kids to the gallery... I took photos of the artwork title/descriptions (the works which I really liked) as I did not have time to read them in situ. I'll have a flick through them tonight when the kids are in bed having their own horse-man-head dreams.

No comments:

Post a Comment